The family's ownership of the London Estate dates back to the marriage of Mary Davies to Sir Thomas Grosvenor in 1677. Mary inherited an area known as the Five Fields (500 acres situated north of the Thames and to the west of the City of London) which today are occupied by Mayfair, Belgravia and Pimlico.
To see an early map of the London Estate, please click here.
To see a map of the London Estate today, please click here.
This landholding remained largely untouched by the family until the 1720s when a decision was taken to develop the northern part - now known as Mayfair – around a new Grosvenor Square. A few generations later, in the 1820s, the focus shifted to what is now Belgravia, and work began to develop Eaton Square, Chester Square and many other famous London addresses.
Later in the 19th century, the area known as Pimlico was similarly developed but this property was sold by the family in 1953.
Today the London Estate comprises freehold properties in Mayfair and Belgravia, including a mix of retail, residential and office buildings.
Key locations in Mayfair are: Mount Street, Grosvenor Street, North Audley Street, Duke Street and Park Street.
Key locations in Belgravia are: Eaton Square, Motcomb Street, Elizabeth Street, Pimlico Road and Ebury Street.